- First off, good luck to everyone participating in NaNoWriMo! May you easily reach your 1667 words every day. If you’re stuck, here are some famous authors on how to overcome writer’s block. And if all fails, have your character make a sandwich… 😉
- Where do authors like to read? The Huffington Post has a great series revealing answers to just this question. And Flavorwire shows us what they’re reading.
- ABC was mentioned in this post about anti-industrialization and microexperts (not nearly as complicated as it sounds!). Thank you for getting enthusiastic about self-publishing along with us! And thank you Luke for the link.
- Awards! The World Fantasy Awards were handed out, and the Novel winner is Osama by Lavie Tidhar. Click here for the complete list. The Independent Booksellers’ Book Prize 2012 went to by Jeanette Winterson for Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? and Eva Ibbotson for One Dog and His Boy. The FT and Goldman Sachs Business Book of the Year went to Steve Coll for Private Empire: ExxonMobil and American Power.
- Interview! The Guardian has one with Thomas Frank, author of Pity the Billionaire, on, among other topics, Mitt Romney. They also feature one with Michael Chabon, most recently of Telegraph Avenue fame, who mentions Obama. 🙂
- Fans of Alice Munro will relish this sneak peek at The Eye, featured in the upcoming short story collection called Dear Life.
- High school English teachers, listen up: here are 10 more modern alternatives to Catcher in the Rye.
- Lists! The Guardian has The 10 Most Difficult Books To Finish. Can’t say I’m really tempted to even start them now, sadly. The Huffington Post lists 9 Of The Most Beautiful Words In The English Language. I love their definition of ‘flaneur’: A soulful urban wanderer. Although they did miss out on my personal favorite, ‘awkward’. Publishers Weekly lists The Most Dysfunctional Families In Literature. They also have the distinction of being the first (as far as I know) to publish their Best Books of 2012 list. ABC’s Staff Favorites are to come in about a month..
- And finally: amazing tattoos inspired by amazing children’s books (via flavorwire):
Have tips for the Bookbits? Mail email@example.com!