Reviewed by Richard Metcalf
There’s something in Who Invented the Bicycle Kick? by Paul Simpson and Uli Hesse to delight any reader: whether you’re a long-term footie fan, a North American who has just woken up to the wonders of football played with the feet, or you just enjoy learning a weird factoid or two to astound your mates. To give a small taste of the treats in store for readers of this highly entertaining volume, here’s a short quiz:
- Which Danish footballer once faked his own death by shooting during a match, and why?
- Whose pre-match ritual involved taking a slug of whisky, strapping his ankles with a full tin of tape, and having the team’s striker store his false teeth in the empty tin for the duration of the game?
- Which Scottish goalkeeper was sent off for destroying the frame of the goal not once but twice in the same match?
- How many professional matches have descended into such mayhem that the referee sent off both entire teams: all the players, including the substitutes, as well as the managers and technical staff?
- Whose transfer to Manchester United was sealed with a freezer full of ice cream?
If that’s not enough to whet your appetite, this book will also tell you:
- Which team won a European Cup match after failing to score in a penalty shoot-out
- Where to draw inspiration if your team is 5-0 down with just 7 minutes left on the clock
- The source of the legend that the Uruguayan team trained for the 1924 Olympics by chasing chickens
- The sad truth behind the binge-drinking which inspired Paul Gascoigne’s “Dentist’s Chair” goal celebration at Euro 96
- And why a team once made a 20,000 mile round trip to play a domestic cup match (and, no, it wasn’t a Scottish team competing for the “Proclaimers’ Trophy”).
Still not convinced? Just imagine you’re racing towards the goal and you take a shot, giving the ball such an almighty wallop that it explodes and then crosses the line with its bladder hanging out: is it still a goal?
With over 100 similar gems packed into around 275 pages, these pocket-sized snippets of soccer trivia are the perfect reading matter for a grown man in the little boys’ room with time on his hands.
“Are you alright in there, dear?”
You Review: The latest releases, reviewed by ABC customers.
Ebook available of Who Invented the Bicycle Kick?.